Forums Women’s Basketball 2019 Season

This topic contains 65 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  hootfish 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 66 total)
  • Author

summitfans
      • Total Posts: 133

How does everyone think the women’s basketball season will go? The South Dakota schools should be pretty tough again

Rabitt74
        • Total Posts: 96

How does everyone think the women’s basketball season will go? The South Dakota schools should be pretty tough again

I agree that SDSU and USD will be tough again. Hope the rest of the league continues to improve. Was great to get two teams in the Big Dance last year and have a sweet sixteen team. SDSU lost its two top players to graduation, but after perhaps some early adjustments, I expect them to be in the hunt for the conference title come the conference season.

GoEagles
          • Total Posts: 56

I expect ORU to be even better this year after being about 5 games above .500 last year. Maya Mayberry shot 43% from three last season and they also return Lippe, who played a ton of minutes, can shoot the three and can rebound. These two guards are both only juniors, so I think they’ll both take a major step forward this season!

Eagle Fan
            • Total Posts: 7

I expect ORU to be even better this year after being about 5 games above .500 last year. Maya Mayberry shot 43% from three last season and they also return Lippe, who played a ton of minutes, can shoot the three and can rebound. These two guards are both only juniors, so I think they’ll both take a major step forward this season.

Yes, I agree that ORU will be better with some great additions to an already strong returning team. We have added some height and some excellent freshmen that will be a plus for a very good year.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Eagle Fan.

GoEagles

Yes, I agree that ORU will be better with some great additions to an already strong returning team. We have added some height and some excellent freshmen that will be a plus for a very good year.

Who do you expect to make the biggest improvement this season?

Bison82
                • Total Posts: 109

Without much insight is this going to be a two horse race between the South Dakota schools?

GoEagles

Without much insight is this going to be a two horse race between the South Dakota schools?

I think ORU will push for the title as we have a lot returning. See above comment for those players. Played USD and SDSU (one of two) tough each game last year. I think we could beat them both at least once this season! (A little biased here)

Kiyoat
                    • Total Posts: 198

I’d agree that ORU will likely be in the top-three by the end of the season. They gave both SD schools some scares during the season, and I don’t see them being any worse this year, likely better. Losing Beatty will affect them, but there are plenty of shooters left on the team. Height and rebounding were the primary issues for the eagles last year, but for some reason the rebounding really improved at the end of the year. Height will be better this year with that transfer.

I’m not sure how anyone can really argue against the Yotes being favored for the upcoming season, though. The Jacks and Yotes were neck-and-neck all season, until the championship game. Duffy being unexpectedly hobbled early in the game was a big factor. I’m not saying the Yotes definitely would have won it with Duffy, but it sure would have been a more competitive game.

I’d say last year the Jacks were 1A and the Yotes 1B on the season. The Jacks’ brutal early schedule, combined with the Yotes’ high-profile upsets, allowed the Yotes to garner some spotlight, but in the end it was pretty dang even between them. ORU, Denver and WIU were in the 2nd tier, but were too inconsistent.

This year I’d go with the Yotes as a clear #1, and the Jacks #2, but still on the top tier. We only lose one player (albeit an important one, Arens), while the Jacks lose two of the best guards in program history. Literally 45% of their points, and 60% of their 3-pointers scored were by the three graduating seniors. They still have a very talented team, especially at the forward positions, but that is a huge adjustment IMO. A.J. might have to run a different kind of system to capitalize on their size inside. The Yotes, OTOH, will be a well-oiled machine right out of the gates. It’s possible that the Jacks or Eagles could catch them at the end of the season, but it isn’t likely, IMHO.

Mr Meaty
                      • Total Posts: 1

NDSU women’s program only has one way to go and that is up. May pull off a couple surprises this season . Looking forward to become relevant in Summit hoops. It will take a couple years but there is excitement surrounding the program. That is badly needed.

Kiyoat
                        • Total Posts: 198

NDSU women’s program only has one way to go and that is up. May pull off a couple surprises this season . Looking forward to become relevant in Summit hoops. It will take a couple years but there is excitement surrounding the program. That is badly needed.

Absolutely. The Bison WBB program has a proud history and plenty of fan potential, if they can rebuild. It will likely take some patience and good recruiting to put it back together, but I’d rather have the Yotes face a full and hostile arena in Fargo or Grand Forks than an empty arena vs fantastic women’s teams from Denver, WIU or ORU.

Sorry to hate on those fan bases, but there have been some amazing coaches and female athletes that have had to play in front of nobody at those schools. The Denver VB team has been a perfect example of this problem. Dominant team. No fans.

Bison82
                          • Total Posts: 109

Agreed. The program has a lot of upside potential. However, that has been the case for a long time, so I am not sure how high my expectations are for this season. I think we will see improvement to be a middle of the pack team. Maybe withing two or three years we are competing for the title, but I don’t think this is the year

Puck Swami
                            • Total Posts: 17

Denver has many really good teams – Men’s Hockey (#3), Men’s Lacrosse (#15) and Women’s gymnastics (#4) are all national top 15 D-I teams and all of them sellout at home. Then you have NCAA top 25-30 DU teams like men’s soccer, women’s lacrosse, women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s swimming who draw 400 or 500 fans. The fan DU base is pretty small, with about 5,000 undergrads (most of whom didn’t grow up with DU sports) and a metro area where its hard to generate deep fan allegiances as a private school and there is tons of competition for eyeballs.

In short, we’re lucky to have three sellout sports. Perhaps someday, more will come but it’s long slog to be relevant in this market…

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  Puck Swami.
                          Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar