Forums Women’s Basketball 2019 Season

This topic contains 65 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  hootfish 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 66 total)
  • Author

summitfans
      • Total Posts: 133

Denver has many really good teams – Men’s Hockey (#3), Men’s Lacrosse (#15) and Women’s gymnastics (#4) are all national top 15 D-I teams and all of them sellout at home. Then you have NCAA top 25-30 DU teams like men’s soccer, women’s lacrosse, women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s swimming who draw 400 or 500 fans. The fan DU base is pretty small, with about 5,000 undergrads (most of whom didn’t grow up with DU sports) and a metro area where its hard to generate deep fan allegiances as a private school and there is tons of competition for eyeballs.

In short, we’re lucky to have three sellout sports. Perhaps someday, more will come but it’s long slog to be relevant in this market…

I think if Denver is going to gain relevance in its current market, it will have to make a ton of noise in men’s and women’s basketball. They definitely have room on their bandwagon if they can string together a sustained run of success. The same could be said about most teams, but Denver’s population makes it the best candidate.

Bison82
        • Total Posts: 109

Both men’s and women’s basketball are for sure the most upside potential in order to bring the Summit League and its members to the national spotlight. Sure, there have been some highlights, but if we can get to the point where the Summit wins a tournament game or two every season, that would do wonders for the schools in the league.

Rabitt74
          • Total Posts: 96

Both men’s and women’s basketball are for sure the most upside potential in order to bring the Summit League and its members to the national spotlight. Sure, there have been some highlights, but if we can get to the point where the Summit wins a tournament game or two every season, that would do wonders for the schools in the league.

Women’s basketball has the potential too regularly be a two bid league. The Summit needs to keep the momentum going from last years two bids and sweet 16 performance.

summitfans
            • Total Posts: 133

Women’s basketball has the potential too regularly be a two bid league. The Summit needs to keep the momentum going from last years two bids and sweet 16 performance.

Yes it does. And the best part is the majority of the recruits come from the midwest. We need to keep this a secret as we don’t want the coastal schools to start poaching our players! 😉

Puck Swami
              • Total Posts: 17

Women’s basketball can probably get there a bit faster than men’s basketball in the Summit, and here’s my theory why…

The Math of Racial Demographic Reality

NCAA men’s basketball is 56% African-American in DI, and most successful men’s hoops programs are likely north of that 56% figure. That’s just reality -you need good black athletes to be competitive in D-I hoops. About 85% of American college students go to college within a day’s drive of home. Add those two factors together, and it’s an uphill climb to attract enough quality African-American male basketball athletes to Summit League campuses, as comparatively fewer African-American athletes are within a day’s drive of Summit schools, especially when compared to many other parts of America, where are there are far larger black population bases (and far more D-I schools who are much closer to them).

NCAA women’s basketball in D-1 is 47% African-American, and given the closer racial balance in the women’s game between white and black players, the Summit, as a league its recruiting base in “whiter” areas of the country, doesn’t suffer as much as the men’s programs, who have less proximity to black players.

Pios2
                • Total Posts: 56

Women’s basketball can probably get there a bit faster than men’s basketball in the Summit, and here’s my theory why…

The Math of Racial Demographic Reality

NCAA men’s basketball is 56% African-American in DI, and most successful men’s hoops programs are likely north of that 56% figure. That’s just reality -you need good black athletes to be competitive in D-I hoops. About 85% of American college students go to college within a day’s drive of home. Add those two factors together, and it’s an uphill climb to attract enough quality African-American male basketball athletes to Summit League campuses, as comparatively fewer African-American athletes are within a day’s drive of Summit schools, especially when compared to many other parts of America, where are there are far larger black population bases (and far more D-I schools who are much closer to them).

NCAA women’s basketball in D-1 is 47% African-American, and given the closer racial balance in the women’s game between white and black players, the Summit, as a league its recruiting base in “whiter” areas of the country, doesn’t suffer as much as the men’s programs, who have less proximity to black players.

That is a very interesting way to look at it. I guess it makes sense when you look at it that way. Considering the distance from major urban areas for most Summit schools, men’s basketball may have more of an uphill battle than I had thought

Kiyoat
                  • Total Posts: 198

Wow. There are many leaps of logic in this theory of yours. You are simply looking at this from a racial standpoint, and assuming that black = better in basketball. Very simple black-and-white thinking (pun intended) when the truth is almost always in the grey area. If this were true, why would there be any white people in the NBA?

Saying that black people are inherently better athletes is as wrong as saying that asian, or white people are typically smarter. It’s not a genetic thing as much as a socio-economic and cultural thing.

My theory is that basketball happens to be very popular in black American culture. Because it is popular, lots of black kids play it from a young age, and get really good at it…. that’s it. That’s the theory.

I also think that in the upper midwest, there are a lot of girls that play basketball and volleyball from a young age, thanks to title IX. In small midwest towns, there is a high % of multi-sport athletes, both boy and girl. In a really small school, you might also be in the band, choir and debate teams. Small town, multi-sport kids have less exposure to the elite club teams that make recruiting so much easier for the P-5 Schools, so they are sometimes missed. Regional mid-majors can then swoop in to get great athletes.

Also, regardless of race, NCAA men’s basketball is just more high-profile and competitive for recruiting. The result is that even mid-majors have to search far and wide for the best recruits. Local kids are now a small % of the roster in men’s, but not women’s BB. Transfer culture is also a lot stronger in men’s bb due to the lure of post-graduate professional play. That means local small-town heroes (Like Macy Miller, or Ciara Duffy for example) usually stick around.

So the answer isn’t in race quotas, IMHO. Just smart recruiting, and good team culture.

Puck Swami
                    • Total Posts: 17

Kiyoat

I think you may be reading into my post some things that I did not say, nor intend to convey.

Let me try again.

To be clear, a good athlete is a good athlete, no matter what color they are, and we all should cheer them on no matter what color they are. There are great players of all races out there. My argument is not a genetic argument – it’s a numerical/geographic argument about having access to the largest talent pools of the best players.

With 70% of the NBA players being black, I think we’d all agree that the largest pool of excellent basketball players in America are black players, due in large measure to the culture of basketball excellence established in black communities around America. As a result of that excellence and aspiration, 56% of NCAA players are black. If a D-I school doesn’t have good access to that large player pool, they will be at a disadvantage compared to the schools who do have access. I believe that we in the Summit League schools are at a numerical disadvantage in recruiting that black talent pool, due to our outlier geography – our schools are just not geographically close enough to the large populations of black athletes to attract and compete for the better players in the large black talent pools. We certainly do get some black players in our league, but in my opinion, not enough of them. Distance from home is the big reason we don’t get as many, as 85% of everyone stays within a day’s drive of home for college, and there are many more colleges who are far closer to these large black talent pools than we are…

The talent pool in women’s basketball is more balanced between races, and as result, Summit teams are at less of a disadvantage than the men are.

Does that makes sense?

Kiyoat

That argument is a lot more nuanced and accurate than before , but I still think you’re focusing too much on race. I agree that there are regional hotbeds for talent in every sport, and that they sometimes correlate with race, but that’s not the defining reason.

The Deep South, Texas and Florida produce tons of football players. A good percentage of them are black. But they also produce plenty Of top-rate white players. Why? Because football is king there. Kids are born with footballs in their hands.

Nebraska High Schools produce a huge number of female volleyball players that play in college. Most are white, but that isn’t the point. It’s a Volleyball culture. A black kid growing up in a white neighborhood in Hutchison, MN might be into hockey rather than basketball. You get the idea. If you aren’t making a genetic argument there isn’t any reason to bring up race. Urban metropolitan areas often have great basketball recruiting. Some of that is black bb culture, but some of that is urban culture.

Kiyoat

Look, I’m not totally disagreeing with you. I just think it’s a slippery slope when we start generalizing based on race. There are many many other factors involved in recruiting the best athletes. That’s all I’m saying. Sorry to steer the conversation off course a bit.

Bison82

Boy did this thread ever get side tracked

Bison82

NDSU signed SMU transfer Marie Olson, who seems like a pretty good get. She was ranked the 19th best forward in the country coming out of high school. https://gobison.com/news/2019/8/15/ndsu-womens-basketball-signs-smu-transfer-marie-olson.aspx

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar