Forums Women’s Basketball 2019 Season

This topic contains 65 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  hootfish 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 66 total)
  • Author

Kiyoat
      • Total Posts: 198

NDSU signed SMU transfer Marie Olson, who seems like a pretty good get. She was ranked the 19th best forward in the country coming out of high school. https://gobison.com/news/2019/8/15/ndsu-womens-basketball-signs-smu-transfer-marie-olson.aspx

That’s a good start, and already shows more effort in recruiting than the previous regime.

Bison82
        • Total Posts: 109

NDSU signed SMU transfer Marie Olson, who seems like a pretty good get. She was ranked the 19th best forward in the country coming out of high school. https://gobison.com/news/2019/8/15/ndsu-womens-basketball-signs-smu-transfer-marie-olson.aspx

That’s a good start, and already shows more effort in recruiting than the previous regime.

Jory has a ton of work to do, obvisouly, but this is a good get. From the bits i’ve read on her she has the potential to be a force in this league. She’s 6′ 2″ and can shoot the three, which is pretty rare, especially in our league.

Pios2
          • Total Posts: 56

Pioneers return three of top four leading scorers, led by Madison Nelson, Lauren Loven, and Claire Gritt. I expect us to push for the title this season. We lose a guard who could really distribute the ball but will make it up down low this season. Loven and Gritt are fantastic shooters to boot

hootfish
            • Total Posts: 6

Pioneers return three of top four leading scorers, led by Madison Nelson, Lauren Loven, and Claire Gritt. I expect us to push for the title this season. We lose a guard who could really distribute the ball but will make it up down low this season. Loven and Gritt are fantastic shooters to boot

That is true they will miss the graduated Samatha Romanowski who had a fabulous season running the point. That loss will be lessened though by the return of PG Briana Johnson who was a 2 year starter at the position before missing last season due to injury.

Kiyoat

Denver will be tough, no doubt. Like last season, I think ORU and Denver will be easily in the 3 or 4 seed spot, and will both be solid upset threats to the two SD teams. I can’t put either above the 3 spot in a prediction poll, though.

Turgeon is a great coach, and so are Gravina and Cussen.
              For ORU, I like Mayberry’s game, but I think she needs to take it to the next level if she want’s to elevate the team. She has some great moves when slashing to the basket, but doesn’t often look for the open shooter on the arc.
              That’s part of what made Emily Clemens so deadly. Her kick-out pass. John Konchar had a great one, too.

I figured WIU would lose some mojo last season with all the seniors graduating. I don’t really have a good feel for how good they will be this year, but Gravina could surprise us.

I think UND will take a step back with Klabo graduating. They ran a lot of the offense through her. They have recruited better than NDSU, but I think the clock is ticking on Brewster. His seat might get hot this season. Same with Lange at UNO. She has had to rebuild the team, roster-wise, but at some point she will have to show some progress.

Nelson at PFW has a mess to deal with right now, but she seems to be a good coach. If there was any actual abuse of players, I think the investigation would have found it, and she would have been fired. No reason to protect her otherwise. Poorly performing, low-profile sport. The Dons will be in the basement again, but they could build the program with the right coach down the stretch.

Pios2

Denver will be tough, no doubt. Like last season, I think ORU and Denver will be easily in the 3 or 4 seed spot, and will both be solid upset threats to the two SD teams. I can’t put either above the 3 spot in a prediction poll, though.

For ORU, I like Mayberry’s game, but I think she needs to take it to the next level if she want’s to elevate the team. She has some great moves when slashing to the basket, but doesn’t often look for the open shooter on the arc.
                That’s part of what made Emily Clemens so deadly. Her kick-out pass. John Konchar had a great one, too.

I figured WIU would lose some mojo last season with all the seniors graduating. I don’t really have a good feel for how good they will be this year, but Gravina could surprise us.

I think UND will take a step back with Klabo graduating. They ran a lot of the offense through her. They have recruited better than NDSU, but I think the clock is ticking on Brewster. His seat might get hot this season. Same with Lange at UNO. She has had to rebuild the team, roster-wise, but at some point she will have to show some progress.

Nelson at PFW has a mess to deal with right now, but she seems to be a good coach. If there was any actual abuse of players, I think the investigation would have found it, and she would have been fired. No reason to protect her otherwise. Poorly performing, low-profile sport. The Dons will be in the basement again, but they could build the program with the right coach down the stretch.

I think it’s pretty safe to say that the top four will be SDSU, USD, Denver and ORU, in no particular order. After that it seems to be a crap shoot. UND is trending the wrong direction after being pretty good in the Big Sky. NDSU is trending up after being in the basement for a while. Omaha and Fort Wayne are both in bad shape. Mayberry at ORU has a ton of potential like you mentioned. I liked watching her play a lot. That leaves W. Illinois as the wild card. It could be a battle with NDSU and the Leathernecks for that fifth spot.

GoEagles

I’ve heard that knock on Mayberry a couple of times. Remember, she’s only going to be a junior this season. One thing that changes the most as player mature is their awareness. I expect that to improve drastically. But, your point is warranted. The same goes for Lippe. Both of their abilities to shoot the three will open up the drive as players close out. I am so glad we get both of them for two more years. This year might be their official coming out party as they start to carry the load without Beatty

Kiyoat

I’ve heard that knock on Mayberry a couple of times. Remember, she’s only going to be a junior this season. One thing that changes the most as player mature is their awareness. I expect that to improve drastically. But, your point is warranted. The same goes for Lippe. Both of their abilities to shoot the three will open up the drive as players close out. I am so glad we get both of them for two more years. This year might be their official coming out party as they start to carry the load without Beatty

Lippe is an interesting player. She is sneaky good and physical in the paint, despite her size. Defense too. That reminds me of our “Junkyard Jas” Trimboli. Those kind of effort players are fun to watch.

I’m hoping hoping to see some improvement with UNO and NDSU, because 300+ RPI teams in the conference really drag us all down.

hootfish
                      • Total Posts: 6

It is very interesting to see opinions on specific players. Thanks for those…..Two that caught my eye last season who I think will develop nicely are NDSU F Emily Dietz (Jr.) and Omaha C Mariah Murdie (So.)

Dietz is huge and athletic with pure post skills. I can see the new coaching staff having a big impact on her. Murdie was relentless on the boards with a great motor in the 2 games I saw her in.

Anyone else to watch out for this season?

Kiyoat

If we are talking about breakout players, or improved/developed players, I’ll add Hannah Sjerven, C (RS Jr) for USD. Although she won’t be sneaking up on anyone, I think we will really see a breakout year for her, as the team and coaches have a better feel for how to use her physical presence in Dawn’s motion offense. Duffy should again be in the running for POY/MVP.

For the Jacks I expect forward Myah Selland should pick up some of the scoring slack left by Macy and Maddie leaving. Riley Casio-Jensen might be their point, and showed some flashes at the end of last season from the arc. She will need more shooting consistency, but she will have the opportunity. Paiton Burchard got a lot of time as a freshman forward. She’s got some upside, and should get even more minutes.

Bison82
                          • Total Posts: 109

It is very interesting to see opinions on specific players. Thanks for those…..Two that caught my eye last season who I think will develop nicely are NDSU F Emily Dietz (Jr.) and Omaha C Mariah Murdie (So.)

Dietz is huge and athletic with pure post skills. I can see the new coaching staff having a big impact on her. Murdie was relentless on the boards with a great motor in the 2 games I saw her in.

Dietz is going to be a really good player this season if she gets a little more aggressive and physical. Sometimes her youth showed last year, but hopefully a new staff and another offseason will help with that. She needs to work on freethrows as well.

Murdie is going to be a good one as well. She did turn the ball over quite a bit for someone who doesn’t handle the ball a ton.

ORU has a post in Regan Schumacher that should take a huge leap this season. She’s a junior this season and I believe had a double double when they played NDSU

Pios2

Denver’s Claire Gritt could have a big year distributing the ball without Romanowski. She was pretty decent last season at not turning it over and was a sophomore. I think everyone knows what we have in Madi Nelson. So I’ll say Lauren Loven will be an all-conference team player as her production should be even higher in her senior season. She shot almost 45% from behind the arc and should see even more shots this season which will increase her 14ppg scoring average. I just hope she can start to get the free throw line a lot more.

Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar