Forums Women’s Basketball 2019 Season

This topic contains 65 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  hootfish 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 37 through 48 (of 66 total)
  • Author

MavFan
      • Total Posts: 64

I actually think the Mavs could be the most improved team this year. We return five starters in Johnston, Filer, Killian, Carter, and Pilakouta. Plus the newcomer of the year Mariah Murdie and Emily Petersen who was injured much of the season and could have been a starter. I really think we have the potential to have a winning record after breaking down the roster. We just need an elite scorer to arise.

Kiyoat
        • Total Posts: 198

I actually think the Mavs could be the most improved team this year. We return five starters in Johnston, Filer, Killian, Carter, and Pilakouta. Plus the newcomer of the year Mariah Murdie and Emily Petersen who was injured much of the season and could have been a starter. I really think we have the potential to have a winning record after breaking down the roster. We just need an elite scorer to arise.

I was just thinking the same about UNO needing some scoring, and finally having some consistency with starters. I wonder if you might get some scoring from your Aussie frosh, Ella Ogier (shot 50% as a guard) or Swedish JC transfer Mikaela Ekdahl (shot 85% FT). I like the diversity angle in recruiting (both geographic and otherwise) that Coach Lange is pursuing. Sorta like our Coach Lee. Will be interesting if the team improves.

MavFan

I was just thinking the same about UNO needing some scoring, and finally having some consistency with starters. I wonder if you might get some scoring from your Aussie frosh, Ella Ogier (shot 50% as a guard) or Swedish JC transfer Mikaela Ekdahl (shot 85% FT). I like the diversity angle in recruiting (both geographic and otherwise) that Coach Lange is pursuing. Sorta like our Coach Lee. Will be interesting if the team improves.

I’m not sure how Ogier will adjust right away. But there was a little buzz around her signing as she’s a guard with good size. I don’t know much about Ekdahl other than she played with a pretty good team in JUCO. I think the scoring will come from a returner. It could be Murdie as she put together strings of games where she’d score in the double digits and even scored over 20 once or twice.

GoEagles
            • Total Posts: 56

Pilakouta and Murdie gave us fits down low last season. They were both freshmen last year so I think they’ll be forces in the league for years to come. A lot of potential for the Mavs to be a really good team this season. If not this season, the next they should be near the top.

Rabitt74
              • Total Posts: 96

Jack women are back. 85-43 exhibition win over St. Cloud state tonight.

Kiyoat

I’m not sure how Ogier will adjust right away. But there was a little buzz around her signing as she’s a guard with good size. I don’t know much about Ekdahl other than she played with a pretty good team in JUCO. I think the scoring will come from a returner. It could be Murdie as she put together strings of games where she’d score in the double digits and even scored over 20 once or twice.

Looks like Ogier started in your exhibition game, and did very well! Leading scorers were Murdie, Ogier and another freshman, Forward Kia Wilson off the bench. Ogier had a lot of rebounds, too. Looks like she might be your 3-guard, with Killian at the point. Your forwards appear to be a scoring focus right now, and there have been some size upgrades there. Still need some consistent arc-shooting, but this was just an exhibition game. Might be feeling out the line-up a bit, trying out some different shooters. 23 3PT attempts from 10 different players.

Kiyoat

Jack women are back. 85-43 exhibition win over St. Cloud state tonight.

Interesting to see three starting forwards, but I agree that those are probably your 5 best players on the court right now. Selland plays inside/outside pretty well, and could be considered a big-bodied guard, so maybe I’m reading too much into positions.

I’ll be really interested to see what kind of offense AJ runs with so many talented forwards. Chess match. Your guards will have to elevate their play, but it is a long season. You guys are usually firing on all cylinders right around tourney time, when it is least convenient for the rest of us.

summitfans
                    • Total Posts: 133

It’s great to have basketball back! These exhibitions are such a tease sometimes. Hard to gather much info from them as the competition is usually inferior, but it does give a glimpse into a lot of the younger players. Just four days from the women’s and men’s season starting. Can’t wait!

summitfans
                      • Total Posts: 133

Season starts tomorrow! Some good action to start the season. I will be interested in how the USD-Northeastern game and Creighton-Omaha games go tomorrow!

Tuesday, November 5
                      Central Christian (Kan.) at Oral Roberts 11 a.m.
                      South Dakota at Northeastern (FH) 12 p.m.
                      Denver at Kansas City 4 p.m.
                      Creighton at Omaha 7 p.m.
                      Western Illinois at Missouri (SECN+) 7 p.m.
                      Purdue Northwest at Purdue Fort Wayne 7 p.m.
                      North Dakota at Arizona 7:30 p.m.

Wednesday, November 6
                      North Dakota State at Northern Iowa 6:30 p.m.

Thursday, November 7
                      UIC at Purdue Fort Wayne 11 a.m.

Friday, November 8
                      North Dakota at Grand Canyon 1 p.m.
                      Texas State at Oral Roberts 5 p.m.
                      Culver-Stockton College (Mo.) at Western Illinois 5:30 p.m.
                      South Dakota State at Drake (E3/E+) 6 p.m.
                      Omaha at Kansas State (E+) 6:30 p.m.

Saturday, November 9
                      South Dakota at Green Bay 1 p.m.
                      New Mexico State at Denver 3:30 p.m.

Sunday, November 10
                      Northern Illinois at North Dakota State (MSN/E+) 1 p.m.

Here is a link to the weekly notebook from the Summit League:
                      http://www.thesummitleague.org/sports/wbkb/2019-20/releases/20191104ow6gxy

Some highlights:
                      Denver senior Lauren Loven was named to the 2019-20 Ann Meyers Drysdale Award preseason watch list after a record-setting year. She set a new school and league record with 111 made 3-pointers. The senior guard shot 44.4 percent from behind the arc to lead The Summit League and tied for fourth in program history and 15th in league history for a single season.
                      South Dakota and South Dakota State are heading into the 2019-20 season receiving votes in both the Associated Press and USA Today/WBCA Coaches Polls.

MavFan

I think the Mavs have a solid chance to beat a Creighton team tonight. We have a ton of returning experience and they lost their leading scorer from an average team last season. Creighton has beat us 11 straight times, so it would feel great to knock them off to start the year!

Here’s our scouting report for tonight and the season:
                        The Mavericks return an experienced core from a team that finished last year with an 8-21 record. The returning group delivered 1,424 of the Mavericks’ 1,733 points (82.2%) and 4,462 of the 5,800 minutes played (76.9%). UNO offers a very balance scoring attack as seven players from last years team averaged between 5.3 and 9.4 ppg. Senior Rayanna Carter is expected to lead the way for the Mavericks after scoring 274 points (9.4 ppg).

coyotecrazie5
                          • Total Posts: 16

Yotes defeat NE 80-76

MavFan

Yotes defeat NE 80-76

Northeastern? Nice. Were they projected to be good this season?

Viewing 12 posts - 37 through 48 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar