Forums Women’s Basketball 2019 Season

This topic contains 65 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  hootfish 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 49 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Author

Kiyoat
      • Total Posts: 198

Yotes defeat NE 80-76

Northeastern? Nice. Were they projected to be good this season?

Not really, but they might just be anyway. They were picked 6th out of the Colonial, which was pretty comparable to the Summit last year. So like a mid-level Summit team.

They scored 24 points off of 20 Coyote turnovers, and shot 45% from the arc (10 of 22). The arc shooting is what it is. It’s basically what we deal with from the Summit teams.

The fact that we committed 20 turnovers was wildly uncharacteristic, though. NU played very physical and aggressive defense, and were athletic. They closed off the lane pretty well, and we didn’t shoot well from the arc. Definitely a learning experience for them. Had to come back in the last three minutes with a 16-2 run, I believe.

summitfans
        • Total Posts: 133

Yotes defeat NE 80-76

Northeastern? Nice. Were they projected to be good this season?

Not really, but they might just be anyway. They were picked 6th out of the Colonial, which was pretty comparable to the Summit last year. So like a mid-level Summit team.

They scored 24 points off of 20 Coyote turnovers, and shot 45% from the arc (10 of 22). The arc shooting is what it is. It’s basically what we deal with from the Summit teams.

The fact that we committed 20 turnovers was wildly uncharacteristic, though. NU played very physical and aggressive defense, and were athletic. They closed off the lane pretty well, and we didn’t shoot well from the arc. Definitely a learning experience for them. Had to come back in the last three minutes with a 16-2 run, I believe.

Regardless, a solid start for the league in non-conference play! It sounds like the Yotes didn’t play up to full potential and still got the win. A lot of those typical Game 1 things will work themselves out. Basketball is back and it feels great! I look forward to watching as many college basketball games as possible this season

summitfans

Scores from last night:
          South Dakota 80, Northeastern 76
          Oral Roberts 114, Cent. Christian 60
          Kansas City 83, Denver 79
          Fort Wayne 73, Purdue Northwest 50
          Missouri 97, Western Illinois 89 (OT) Almost a big win for WIU!
          Creighton 67, Omaha 54

Kiyoat

A lot of high-scoring games. About what I would expect from the arc-shooting league. Will be interesting to see who all the “snipers” will be this year, with many having graduated. I’m sure there will be plenty.

Kiyoat

Another thing about that WIU/Mizzou almost upset. JD has shown the ability to pull off big upsets in the past (Stanford), and his systems can be very disruptive with the right floor general (Emily Clemens). I think Olivia Kaufman might be the best Summit player nobody is talking about. Maybe she could be that floor general Clemens played so well? Should be interesting.

summitfans

Congrats to the Golden Eagles on a 13 point win over Wichita State last night to improve to 3-0. Senior Rylie Torrey had another great by the sound of it, scoring a career high 22 points. So far, she is averaging 19ppg in 29 minutes.

GoEagles
                  • Total Posts: 56

Torrey keeps this up and she could win player of the year! We are looking dangerous right now

Pios2

Torrey keeps this up and she could win player of the year! We are looking dangerous right now

She may very well win some accolades, but she might have a tough time keeping up with USD’s Duffy. Granted, you could make the argument that Torrey is carrying her team more and it seems the Yotes have more help for Duffy that ORU does for Torrey. Both very fun players to watch. I know Torrey was tough to stop for us last season. It was unfortunate she didn’t play in our second matchup last year.

Pios2

I must add that Uju Ezeudu averaged 18.5pts and 10 rebounds in our two close losses. If she can keep that up (probably not likely, but you never know) and the Pios pick up a lot of wins, she’d have to be considered. Not a bad couple of games for the freshman.

Eagle Fan
                        • Total Posts: 7

She may very well win some accolades, but she might have a tough time keeping up with USD’s Duffy. Granted, you could make the argument that Torrey is carrying her team more and it seems the Yotes have more help for Duffy that ORU does for Torrey. Both very fun players to watch. I know Torrey was tough to stop for us last season. It was unfortunate she didn’t play in our second matchup last year.

Trust me Torry is not the only shooter on this team. We are a different package than last year. A very fun team to watch and shot 13 three-pointers last evening. Shot 40 plus % in overall and three-point attempts. I think we are a much better balanced team than last year.

Kiyoat

Keep winning those non-conference games! (and scheduling tough teams) That’s going to be a key factor in the Summit’s ability to field NCAA at-large bids every year, and put multiple teams into the WNIT. That will benefit everyone, as the League’s profile increases.

I’d have to say that all three of Denver, ORU and Western look dangerous so far, and Omaha should improve this year as well. Keep it up.

Pios2

Trust me Torry is not the only shooter on this team. We are a different package than last year. A very fun team to watch and shot 13 three-pointers last evening. Shot 40 plus % in overall and three-point attempts. I think we are a much better balanced team than last year.

Don’t get me wrong, I think ORU has a ton of balance (they showed it against Wichita State). I was just saying that would be one reason to give the edge to Torrey over Duffy. Three starters with 22, 17, and 16 points against a team like Wichita is no joke. I definitely think it will be a three-way race (SDSU, USD and ORU) for the crown.

Viewing 12 posts - 49 through 60 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar