Forums Men’s Basketball 20190-20 Summit League Media Pre-Season Poll & Honors

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Bison82 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 13 total)
  • Author

DancesWithYotes
      • Total Posts: 9

2019-20 Preseason Summit League Poll (first-place votes in parentheses)
      1. North Dakota State (23) – 526 points
      2. South Dakota (6) – 457 points
      3. Oral Roberts (3) – 404 points
      4. Omaha – 369 points
      5. South Dakota State (2) – 300 points
      6. Purdue Fort Wayne – 224 points
      7. Western Illinois – 188 points
      8. North Dakota – 164 points
      9. Denver – 113 points

2019-20 Preseason All-Summit League First Team
      Emmanuel Nzekwesi, Oral Roberts
      Kevin Obanor, Oral Roberts
      Vinnie Shahid, North Dakota State
      Triston Simpson, South Dakota
      Stanley Umude, South Dakota (Preseason Player of the Year)
      Kobe Webster, Western Illinois

2019-20 Preseason All-Summit League Second Team
      Tyler Hagedorn, South Dakota
      JT Gibson, Omaha
      Matt Holba, Purdue Fort Wayne
      Matt Pile, Omaha
      Tyson Ward, North Dakota State

Bison82
        • Total Posts: 107

Here is what this board said in @rabbit74 ‘s poll:

USD (5) 66 pts.
        NDSU (3) 65 pts
        ORU 52 pts
        Omaha 51 pts
        SDSU 43 pts
        UND 28 pts
        PFW 24 pts
        WIU 18 pts
        Denver 12 pts.

We switched USD and NDSU (could be do to the number of Yote posters), and ranked UND a couple of spots too high. Other than that, it seems we have some pretty informed posters here so far! I am excited for the basketball season to start and to defend the title!

Kiyoat
          • Total Posts: 164

I think there are just as many Jack and Bison fans on this board than Yote fans. I don’t have a problem with the media taking NDSU first, but preseason polls are notoriously biased toward the previous year’s results.

I think too many media voters don’t fully understand what Hagedorn’s return means for this Coyote team, and what Lee wants to do offensively. His impact will be huge, assuming he can stay healthy. Also having a ton of returning seniors is a big X-factor that some might not be considering. JMO

summitfans
            • Total Posts: 132

I think there are just as many Jack and Bison fans on this board than Yote fans. I don’t have a problem with the media taking NDSU first, but preseason polls are notoriously biased toward the previous year’s results.

I think too many media voters don’t fully understand what Hagedorn’s return means for this Coyote team, and what Lee wants to do offensively. His impact will be huge, assuming he can stay healthy. Also having a ton of returning seniors is a big X-factor that some might not be considering. JMO

I agree that the voters usually does rely too much on past results. However, NDSU does return quite a bit this season, so it may warrant it. You make very strong points about the Yotes, though, and I believe the race will be a complete tossup. I am not yet ready to crown the Bison or the Yotes, as the league has pretty good parity this year IMO.

Bison82

The Yotes scare me the most. They seem to be more built for a postseason run than say ORU. They have possibly the most depth in the league. Bison need to find more balanced scoring in order to counter teams with deeper benches.

GoEagles
                • Total Posts: 56

Nzekwesi and Obanor have potential to be the best 1-2 punch in the league, if they aren’t already. If DeShang Weaver and Sam Kearns average double digits again, I really like our chances of winning it all. IMO we have just as much or more returning than South Dakota and NDSU. Another kid to watch is Francis Lacis, who can really shoot the three and was only a freshman last season. He’s 6′ 7″ and can shoot… I expect him to step up in a big way

Kiyoat
                  • Total Posts: 164

As has been said many times by fans and coaches: The Summit is wide open this year. Hopefully that will increase fan interest and attendance across the board. We already had more parity on the men’s side than the women’s, but things could get interesting come tournament time. Whoever is hot in March might just take the bid.

Bison82

Nzekwesi and Obanor have potential to be the best 1-2 punch in the league, if they aren’t already. If DeShang Weaver and Sam Kearns average double digits again, I really like our chances of winning it all. IMO we have just as much or more returning than South Dakota and NDSU. Another kid to watch is Francis Lacis, who can really shoot the three and was only a freshman last season. He’s 6′ 7″ and can shoot… I expect him to step up in a big way

ORU did give the Bison some fights last season, and it sounds like they will only be better this year. I guess there’s merit in them being picked third, but I need to see something out of them before I start to put them up there with the Yotes as far as a threat.

MavFan
                      • Total Posts: 61

Fourth for the Mavs may be a little generous and relying on last season’s results. We lost a lot and will be a pretty young team this season. One thing we have going for us is coaching! Hansen did a great job last year getting the players to buy in all season and I think that will continue. He’s been up and down in his time at Omaha, but I think the players really like him, which can go a long way

summitfans
                        • Total Posts: 132

Hi everyone, I have created a poll asking who will win the men’s basketball title this season. Keep scrolling down if you’re on mobile or look to your right and scroll down if you’re on desktop to vote!

Bison82

Fourth for the Mavs may be a little generous and relying on last season’s results. We lost a lot and will be a pretty young team this season. One thing we have going for us is coaching! Hansen did a great job last year getting the players to buy in all season and I think that will continue. He’s been up and down in his time at Omaha, but I think the players really like him, which can go a long way

The Mavs are going to have a very tough time replacing Jackson and Hahn. Jackson was such an efficient scorer shooting nearly 50% which is rare from the guard position. Not to mention 43% from three. I doubt they have another guy like that on their roster as he was a special talent. Gibson and Robinson are going to have to take really big steps if Omaha wants to make it back to the championship game and beyond. They’ll have a nice down low compliment in Pile, but don’t seem to have much after him in the post.

Pios2
                            • Total Posts: 55

IMO Billups (our coach) is on the hot seat. Entering his fourth season, after only 8 wins last year, he needs to finish above .500. His best season was his first, which could be attributed to recruits from before his time. And now to be projected to finish last, the AD needs to evaluate him midway through the season, not just after the season, as far as making a change. We have too much going for us as far as a athletic program to settle for bad basketball. I would love to be proven wrong this season, but I don’t see Billups as the right fit any more.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar