Forums Men’s Basketball Picks Contest??

This topic contains 20 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  MavFan 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 13 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

summitfans
      • Total Posts: 132

Hi everyone, I have created a poll asking who will win the men’s basketball title this season. Keep scrolling down if you’re on mobile or look to your right and scroll down if you’re on desktop to vote!

da_coach
        • Total Posts: 4

I’d be interested in playing in a picks contest.

But like some of the others, I may not be able to make it every week.

Rabitt74
          • Total Posts: 75

There appears to be enough interest to make this a fun activity. Here are the guidelines I will use. I am going to divide the competition into two parts, non-conference and conference. For the non-conference, I will pick what I think are the 10 most interesting games for the week. The list will go up by Friday of the preceding week and picks must be in1 hour before the first game starts. Interesting games will be those against similar caliber teams, games against future conference member UMKC, and games against P6 conference teams. ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Big East, PAC 12 and SEC. To add a little fun, in games against P6 teams, if you pick the Summit League team to win and they do, you will get five points instead of just 1. If you pick the P6 team to win and they do you will get just 1 point. Send your picks to me by the messaging system on this board, don’t post them on the board. The first round of games will be posted sometime next week, not later than Friday.

Feel free to make suggestions on the guidelines.

da_coach
            • Total Posts: 4

There appears to be enough interest to make this a fun activity. Here are the guidelines I will use. I am going to divide the competition into two parts, non-conference and conference. For the non-conference, I will pick what I think are the 10 most interesting games for the week. The list will go up by Friday of the preceding week and picks must be in1 hour before the first game starts. Interesting games will be those against similar caliber teams, games against future conference member UMKC, and games against P6 conference teams. ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Big East, PAC 12 and SEC. To add a little fun, in games against P6 teams, if you pick the Summit League team to win and they do, you will get five points instead of just 1. If you pick the P6 team to win and they do you will get just 1 point. Send your picks to me by the messaging system on this board, don’t post them on the board. The first round of games will be posted sometime next week, not later than Friday.

Excellent.

MavFan
              • Total Posts: 61

Sounds like a lot of fun to me! However, I think I’d prefer to see other people’s picks as it could be interesting?? Maybe just start a new thread each week and people get until the deadline to post them in the thread. I don’t know, maybe others will have input on that.

summitfans
                • Total Posts: 132

Sounds like a lot of fun to me! However, I think I’d prefer to see other people’s picks as it could be interesting?? Maybe just start a new thread each week and people get until the deadline to post them in the thread. I don’t know, maybe others will have input on that.

I’d kind of like to see what everyone else is picking, too, but would be happy either way. Sounds pretty fun, thank you @rabbit74 !

Kiyoat
                  • Total Posts: 164

I think its fine to withhold the picks until the games start. That’s really the most fair way to do it, so you don’t have an advantage by picking last, seeing what everyone else is doing. (like bidding last on the Price is Right’s “Contestants Row”) I’m sure Rabbit has plans to reveal the picks at some point after the games have started. JMO

Rabitt74
                    • Total Posts: 75

I think its fine to withhold the picks until the games start. That’s really the most fair way to do it, so you don’t have an advantage by picking last, seeing what everyone else is doing. (like bidding last on the Price is Right’s “Contestants Row”) I’m sure Rabbit has plans to reveal the picks at some point after the games have started. JMO

If it is a contest I think we need to keep individual picks off of the board until after the deadline for picks. Then everyone is free to post their picks if they want to do that. Posting your picks can lead to some fun discussion, but like I said those posts should be made after the closing time for picks each week. This is the way every competition that I am aware of operates. After the last game of the week I will post the number of points/correct picks each participant has. So you will be able to compare your accuracy against the rest of the gang.

Also submitting your posts to me by the messaging program on this board makes it a lot easier for me to be sure I don’t miss anyone’s picks.

Keep the suggestions coming.

MavFan
                      • Total Posts: 61

If it is a contest I think we need to keep individual picks off of the board until after the deadline for picks. Then everyone is free to post their picks if they want to do that. Posting your picks can lead to some fun discussion, but like I said those posts should be made after the closing time for picks each week. This is the way every competition that I am aware of operates. After the last game of the week I will post the number of points/correct picks each participant has. So you will be able to compare your accuracy against the rest of the gang.

Also submitting your posts to me by the messaging program on this board makes it a lot easier for me to be sure I don’t miss anyone’s picks.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Makes sense to me! I guess that avoids people being able to go back and edit them too. People can piggyback off my picks if they really want to though as I may struggle lol

Viewing 9 posts - 13 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar