Forums Men’s Basketball 2019 Season

This topic contains 130 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  coyotecrazie5 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 109 through 120 (of 131 total)
  • Author

summitfans
      • Total Posts: 133

Not sure what went wrong with my original post, so I’ll repost it:

First games are today. Some good chances to make some noise in the non-conference season. Finally, basketball season!

Tuesday, November 5
      Western Illinois at Indiana (BTN+) 7:00 PM
      UTRGV at SDSU (MSN/E+) 7:00 PM
      NDSU at Kansas State (E+) 7:00 PM
      Omaha at Wichita State (YurViewKS) 7:00 PM
      Denver at Colorado State (MWC) 8:00 PM
      Purdue Fort Wayne at UNLV (MWC) 9:00 PM

Wednesday, November 6
      Oral Roberts at Oklahoma State (E+) 7:00 PM

Thursday, November 7
      Midland at Omaha 12:00 PM
      Crown College at North Dakota (FSN) 7:00 PM
      Mayville State at NDSU 7:00 PM
      Peru State at SDSU 7:00 PM

Friday, November 8
      Houston Baptist at Oral Roberts 7:30 PM
      South Dakota vs. Pacific& 8:30 PM

Saturday, November 9
      Utah Valley at Denver (ALT1) 2:00 PM
      Stetson at Western Illinois 7:00 PM
      SDSU at Cal State Bakersfield 9:00 PM

Sunday, November 10
      Purdue Fort Wayne at SEMO (E+) 4:00 PM
      South Dakota at Hawai’i& 9:00 PM
      All times local to site

Here’s a link to the Summit League men’s basketball notebook for Week 1:
      http://www.thesummitleague.org/sports/mbkb/2019-20/releases/20191104pmufcm

Fun fact:

Purdue Fort Wayne will be the first foe for new UNLV head coach T.J. Otzelberger on opening night. Otzelberger spent the last three seasons at South Dakota State, leading the Jackrabbits to a pair of NCAA Tournament appearances and one NIT appearance during that stretch.

MavFan
        • Total Posts: 64

Sounds like Wanjang Tut and Zach Thornhill will make their first starts for the Mavs tonight against Wichita State. Probably an indicator that the lineup is set for the season. Tut, a sophomore, will have to grow up fast. He barely averaged double digit minutes last season. At 6′ 8″, we’re going to need him down low, although he likes to shoot the three. Thornhill will need to grow up fast too having only played in 10 career games. I didn’t see enough of him to get any good judgement, but he seems like a reliable defender and solid three-point shooter. I expect it to be a committe approach led by Matt Pile, who I’d bet will average at least 15 ppg and 8 rpg. KJ Robinson will likely be up around 15ppg too as well as lead us in assists. He takes care of the ball really well. Last season, I think his assist to turnover ratio was somewhere in the 3:1 area. JT Gibson should be the third in the trio of 15ppg averagers and is a great leader. Looking forward to taking on Wichita State who was 22-15 last season. The Shockers defeated Nebraska in their exhibition, so it will be a really tough game for the Mavs.

Bison82
          • Total Posts: 109

I like our chances tonight against Kansas State. They lost their top three leading scorers, their top two leaders in assists, and their best defender (Barry Brown is in all three of those categories). They’ll need to find someone to stop Shahid and Ward quickly. We should be more balanced and deep this year as well.

Bison82

Up three almost to half time!

Mavs
              • Total Posts: 12

Up three almost to half time!

Bison could absolutely take that one.

Mavs played a solid first half. Only down 6 at half to Wichita St who was picked to finish 4th in the AAC.

Mavs
                • Total Posts: 12

Tough second half for the Mavs. The squad looks competent though, should compete in the Summit based off one game.

Also Thornhill is going to have a few major highlight dunks this year. Kid is a hell of an athlete.

Bison82

The Wildcats pulled away in the second half to win by 13, but I felt it was much closer than that most of he way. We played strong defensively but couldn’t get much offense going. Kansas State studied up on Shahid and shut him down. He was 2-12. That won’t happen often but if it does we might be in trouble. Overall a great effort though

MavFan
                    • Total Posts: 64

Tough second half for the Mavs. The squad looks competent though, should compete in the Summit based off one game.

Also Thornhill is going to have a few major highlight dunks this year. Kid is a hell of an athlete.

I thought we played pretty well despite shooting very poorly. We actually held the Shockers to a lower field goal percentage. What a great game by Akinwole – 16pts 8rbs 4a 2st. Pile is going to be a beast on the boards this season. Love his motor

GoEagles
                      • Total Posts: 56

11-4 Oklahoma state run to open the second half has opened the game against ORU up to 16 points and I think we’re done. Kind of disappointing I thought we’d be able to put a scare in them

GoEagles

Ugh what a game! Oklahoma State 80, ORU 75. Burns with 21, Nzekwesi 16 (and 13 rebounds) and Abmas 14. Obanor never really got going and ended with only 5 points. I’m proud of the team for the fight they showed! I like our chances in the league this year. We have a lot of depth, perhaps the most of the league.

GoEagles

ORU bounced back and put up 95 points in a 14 point win over Houston Baptist Friday night! Deondre Burns led the way with 21 points, 9 rebounds and 5 assists. Max Abmas dropped 20 (6 three pointers) and Emmanuel Nzekswesi added 18 points on 7-11 shooting along with 8 rebounds. RJ Fuqua added 10 points in what was a very balanced effort. We really took over in the second half, leading by as much as 20 after leading by 4 at half time. I am not sure how Houston Baptist will turn out, but that was a solid win after kind of a crushing defeat the other night. We have a ton of depth! Next up the Eagles play Tulsa on Tuesday in another game I think we should win.

Other scores from the weekend, as it seems the Summit League did pretty well:
                          South Dakota 72, Pacific 62
                          Denver 74, Utah Valley 62
                          Stetson 77, Western Illinois 75
                          South Dakota State 93, CSU Bakersfield 91 (2OT) sounds like this was quite the game!

Purdue Fort Wayne plays Southeast Missouri State today at 4 p.m.
                          South Dakota plays Hawaii at 9 p.m.

Kiyoat
                            • Total Posts: 204

Coyotes got the upset win over host team Hawaii late last night 81-75. Decent shot at a clean sweep of the tournament, playing Florida A&M tonight.

Viewing 12 posts - 109 through 120 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar