Forums Volleyball Volleyball coaching changes

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Kiyoat 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Kiyoat
      • Total Posts: 204

I wasn’t sure where to put this, but it might make sense to have an ongoing thread. (hopefully I won’t have to post anything about USD this year)

Nicole Cirillo, HC at SDSU stepped down earlier this week. She leaves the school with a 24-120 overall record, and 14-64 in conference play over five seasons (2015-2019)

The Jacks won the regular season and tournament titles in their first year in the league (2007), and finished 3rd in 2010, but have struggled to compete since then. Cirillo inherited a team that was winless the year before, but was never able to finish above the conference basement.

There are a lot of great coaches in this region that have experience recruiting the upper midwest, so I would expect a lot of applicants. Possibly an announcement after the conference tournaments or after the NCAAs.

Kiyoat

There are some rumors swirling about WIU’s coach having been let go just prior to the season ending, but possibly kept under wraps. They just announced the 2020 class, so that might be the reason they haven’t publicized it.

Or maybe it’s all unfounded rumor. That coach has just completed his second season, so the timing is odd. Despite the conference standings, I felt the Leathernecks have made some progress this year, playing well at home, and turning in an upset or two.

Kiyoat

Nothing more coming out about the WIU coach. Just rumors, I guess.

Kiyoat

Matt Zimmer, the Argus Leader Sports guy, recently posted this:

Kiyoat

Another route that I think would be smart is looking at coaches from the Division-2 Northern Sun. That league is the best Division 2 conference, and the region is very relevant to SDSU from a recruiting standpoint, i.e. These are coaches that know the recruiting landscape.

The weird thing about NSIC coaches is that the best ones are all long-tenured.

Jim Boos, MN Duluth (18 seasons, 9x NSIC champs, 3x NSIC COY)
              Brady Starkey, Concordia St. Paul (17 seasons, 9x NCAA champions)
              Terry Culhane, Southwest MN State (16 seasons, 1x NCAA runner up, 4x NSIC COY)
              Scott Knefl, Wayne State (14 seasons, 1x NCAA final four, 1x NSIC champ, 2x NSIC COY)
              Brent Aldridge, Northern State (9 seasons, 2x NSIC champ, 3x NSIC COY)

out of that group, I’d probably look at Brent Aldridge, since he hasn’t “peaked” yet. Their two championships were in the last two years. Also Northern State is in SD, so proximity matters for recruiting.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar